Thursday 21 November 2013

its thursday and im on time!-blood donations

Today my Thursday post is going to be about blood donations.  I want to raise awareness on what happens to blood when you go to a blood clinic and donate, because a lot of people have the wrong idea.  A lot of people, including myself before I got cancer, think that the blood just goes to people that have been in an accident of some sort and lost a lot of blood.  In reality any cancer patient needs tones of extra blood.  I have received over 20 red blood cell transfusions so far, and I will continue to need them.  Also when you give blood, that blood gets separated into many different things, including red blood cells and platelets, I have also received several platelet transfusions.  Without these transfusions, I wouldn't be here today.  It's not just cancer patients that receive transfusions, it's tones of people that have an illness who are in need as well.  It takes four people to create one blood bag.  When you donate blood you are saving a life somewhere, you may never know who or when, but at least you know you are making a difference.  I appreciate anyone who has ever taken the time to donate blood, it may not seem like a big deal, but seriously, for someone it's life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment